Monday, October 13, 2008

Well, Well, Well, look what the cat dragged in ......



....... a urinary tract infection. No, not me .... Miss Zoey. How's that for a bummer? Last Wednesday, when this whole fiasco started, the first thing they did at the pediatrician's office was a catheter clean catch urine sample. Not a pleasant procedure for anyone, let alone a unsuspecting, smiling 19 month old but it's the best way to ensure no outside contamination and thus, accurate findings. So, the urine looked clear, the pediatrician filling in for our regular one did not check for little uglies under the microscope and instead sent it out to see if anything grew. I honestly forgot about the whole thing because I was so side tracked with her blood results until our doctor called this morning. Seemed like an awful long time for results to get back to him. Sounded more like the results sat on his desk since Friday morning since he was gone. None to happy about that but what can I do now? We started her on an antibiotic. Hopefully things will clear up quickly. Tomorrow we are off first thing, to the hospital, for follow up blood work. Got to say, slightly uneasy about heading there. Results will be back within an hour, so it's not as if we have to sit around and wait and wait and wait. Which is a good thing because patience is not my strong suit lately. Her pediatrician also wants to do another catheter on Wednesday so he can send out a more complete urinary work up and maybe figure out if there is anything going on in that department. Seriously, if I have to add ur-OLOGY to her other OLOGIES, I might just have a heart attack. Today was a really rough day for the little love. Not herself at all. Faked us out with lots of smiles when she first woke up and then I guess that was her quota for the day. Unhappy during vision therapy, which is very unlike her. Proceeded to fling each and every toy placed in front of her, directly behind her or straight over the side of her chair. Finally she was somewhat interested in mardi-gras beads and gaudy sequined fabric but other than that ..... the hour was fairly unproductive. Took a rather short nap which didn't bode well for the cranky disposition. And to finish up the day ..... cried throughout O.T. Well, not throughout because it was a very abbreviated session. She has never, ever done that. Ever. I held her for a long, long time on the couch and so unlike Zoey .... she fell asleep on my chest at 5pm. I carried her upstairs, laid her down, clothes and all. Still sound asleep, 4 hours later. I even went up about a half hour ago and inched down her little leggings, unsnapped a double layer of onesies, g-tubed 4 ounces and all her meds and she didn't move a muscle. My little princess is whooped. As for the very odd post picture..... a video monitor. We bought it last night and honestly, why in the world we hadn't thought to get one before now is beyond me. The catalyst was this. As I have mentioned before, Zoey is a very, very silent child. Hardly a sound all day long. Yes, she cries but even that is seldom. As for sounds, none to speak of, no pun intended. I cannot even put it into a category of a speech issue because Zoey has no sound, period. Am I concerned. No. Least of my worries at this point. However, when I put her down for a nap I truly have no idea when she wakes up. She could, conceivably be up for awhile but only if she cries will I know she is awake. I have felt so bad lately when I either go to check on her and I wake her by going in or when I go to check on her and she is wide awake, stuffed dolls and things strewn all around the crib but I have heard not one peep from the monitor .Now I can see her perfectly. Can you see my little love too? We even can hook it up to the television and see it full screen. It is very cool and well worth the investment. I just wish we had done it sooner. Well, that's the Monday wrap up. Today was a very strange day all around. Even the weather. Santa Ana winds are horrible and if you live in Southern California, you know what I am talking about. Nasty winds. Allergy and asthma sufferers do not do well during this weather. Kids are better kept indoors. To top it off, the winds bring fires, we've got two major ones going right now and it's only a matter of time before the pyromaniac wackos come out of the wood work and deliberately start more. In fact, Jessica might very well be evacuated late tonight as one of the fires creeps closer towards her. So, yeah, we got that going for us. Never a dull moment around here. I could use mellow. Mellow would be nice. If anyone has any ideas how I might be able to accomplish mellow...
feel free to chime in.

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Okay, so your spunk is definitely back! :) We had the Santa Ana's here too...makes for staticy stick to your face hair...not fun! Sometimes I forget that you are really only a little over an hour away. We'll be thinking about you tomorrow... or actually it's already today...yikes, I need to go to bed!!

Reagan Leigh said...

Sounds to me like Mark needs to make some margaritas for his wife!! Those are good for mellow!! Zoey is in my prayers for a quick recovery and perfect blood counts!!! Hope today is a better day!

Reagan Leigh said...

I forgot to mention...we have that exact same monitor. Unfortunately, we never use it because Reagan is still not sleeping in her bedroom! Someday maybe?

Kele said...

Huge margarita equals mellow~ I am telling you, we need to take a vacation!!
So sorry little bit is under the weather, ugh, a UTI, soooo painful... no wonder she isn't herself. I will look forward to hearing about her blood work. I know all will be well!!

Larkinsmom said...

Mellow? Smoke some weed. omg I am dying laughing just typing that. You and I don't do mellow baby girl. We can achieve some form of "relaxed" but mellow - ummm no.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it was "just" a UTI! :-)