Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"The only way to live is to accept each minute as an unrepeatable miracle, which is exactly what it is: a miracle and unrepeatable."- Storm Jameson



How do I slow down these days?How do I ensure that I capture all there is within these walls,to sustain me when it is time to head back in and get done whats got to get done?All I can possibly do is take these days for what they are,cherish them,moment by moment and know,it has to be enough.Coming home has been beyond wonderful.Although busy,we have fallen back effortlessly into routine and life together, as if the past month apart never happened.I have missed my bed,my husband, my children.I have missed seeing their faces as they talk and play with Zoey.I have so missed that glint in her eye and the magic of her smile when anyone enters the room.I have missed my family being a complete unit or as complete as it can be when 2 are grown and on their own.But they will be back,Jess tonight and Caitlin tomorrow.I cannot wait for them to see Zoey and she them.Zoey has adapted to being home beautifully.She too has forgotten what the past month has held.A reminder will come soon enough.She seems to be doing well.No fevers ... thank goodness.That would be a one way ticket back in.She is a little pale today.Probably her hemoglobin is a bit low.Other than that she looks great and seems to feel great as well.There are some moments in my day that I have to be jolted back to reality and reminded that she does indeed have Leukemia.Not quite the reality check I like.But our reality ... for now.That's about all I have for you.I am fully and completely embracing and cherishing our moments.And these moments,these days,right now ... are beautiful.

11 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

Zoey, you are just too cute. I hope you enjoy every second you are home.

Anonymous said...

That was a great post to read Heather. I am so glad you are enjoying your days together. I can't believe how sweet Zoey looks sitting up like a big girl on the couch.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I am sooo happy that you all will be together for Thanksgiving!

Zoey looks so happy, but then she always seems to have a smile on her little face. Amazing, amazing

Love and hugs from the East Coast!

Bluebelle

Angie said...

What great news...I hope you cherish every second you are home. I am still praying for Zoey and all of you. Enjoy your holiday-make it special!!!

Angie

Anonymous said...

So glad to read that Zoey is doing so well and was able to come home. What a blessing from God. Your Thanksgiving will be wonderful and I can just hear all the laughter and see the smiles as your family sit together for the first time in a while. Thank you God for you are good. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Sincerely,
Theresa C (Kele's friend)

Jeanette said...

She has the most precious smile. It is good to see that you are all home and enjoy the reprieve. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Pam said...

I LOVE how she always has ahold of that right foot. Rhett does that too. Especially when he was smaller.

Zoey is so beautiful. I love your family so much. You all are amazing.

If you get a min could you email me? mom2rhett@hotmail.com

Thanks!! So glad you are home.

kristynewb said...

I LOVE the new pictures! What a little sweetheart she is! Still praying!

Kristy

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are enjoying some well deserved family time. I hope we can talk to you tomorrow-there will be a lot of Needhams in our house eating turkey.
Lisa

Lauren (mytime) said...

THis is my first visit here. I found you on accident! Zoe is gorgeous. I know exactly what you are going through!! Hugs to you and your family. My daughter Alexa is now 9. She had DS and just finished her 2 1.2 years of treament in May! The nightmare seems like forever ago. You WILL get through this time. You won't even know how, when you look back, but you will because you have to put one foot in front of the other, for Zoey and your family. Its a long road with lots of bumps, but if you hang on you will get to the finish line. You have so much to be thankful for, and I am so happy Zoey is home. I have put you all in our prayers.
My daughters story is here
http://laurenm.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/alexas-story/

Just in case you need to relate to a mom who has been there :D
Happy HEALTHY Thanksgiving.

Lauren (mytime) said...

SOrry I meant to say HAS Down Syndrome.The S and D are right next to eachother-should have proof read.And she battled ALL (acute lymphoblastic Leukemia-and also had the same heart condition) I was typing through tears after reading through your blog! LOL! Sorry