Tuesday, January 6, 2009


Once again a huge thank you to my dear friend Kele,mom to darling Presley,for taking the time to put together another beautiful collage of Zoey's latest round.I think it is remarkable that Kele found even a few moments in her busy life, to do something so special for us.These collage's offer an opportunity for us all to take a quick glance back at where Zoey started at at the beginning of a round and where she is today.We are so blessed that these first two rounds have found Zoey doing better than any of us expected.We can only pray that with each passing round she continues to do what's got to get done, in such amazing Zoey fashion.I don't have the exact measurements but Zoey has grown approximately 2 inches and gained over 3 pounds since she began treatment in October.I find that beyond belief.Beyond what I ever thought would be the way this all would progress.Her personality is really coming out.Although she continues to be a pretty laid back child,she is beginning to show us another side.A stubborn one.Without having any words or really any sounds to let us know what she needs or wants or better yet what she doesn't want,she lets us know with actions and facial expressions.She has this new scowl face she gives and she VERY deliberately pushes away anything or anyone she doesn't want a part of.One constant is that smile of hers.Her smile continues to light our way and give us the hope that we all will one day see our way through and out of this latest obstacle.That she will find her way out of this latest fight.As it stands we have the week at home.Because they sent us home with such a low ANC count,20,they do not anticipate her number to be up to 750 until probably next week.The plan is to head down next Tuesday and re-access her port,draw some blood,see if we are ready and then admit.If for some reason and with Zoey you never can tell,if for some reason she is not ready then we go home and re-do the whole process a few days later.We will embrace these days at home as they will go far too fast.Yesterday I had a very difficult time sending everyone back to their routines.My children give me a hard time because if I had it my way we would all live together,all the time,forever, and as we grew in number we would create a Needham Compound where we all lived next door to each other.A girl can dream,can't she? But I do know that dream it is slightly selfish of me as I also know everyone needs to forge their own way.Without me.By days end I was better and realized back to routine isn't so bad.Necessary actually.Everyone does such an awesome job of adjusting to our ever changing normal.I am proud of each and everyone of them.And often wonder how I came to be so absolutely blessed and lucky.

15 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce sneaking into blog land at work. I just had to check on dear Zoey so I can give Sarah a report tonight. I love the collages that Kele does. Sounds like things are good. Heather, I too want to build a compound and keep us all together forever. Letting the boys grow up and fly on their own is so hard. Thank you for sharing beautiful Zoey with us.

Maureen said...

Oh my goodness she is so beautiful. I have been lurking for a little while, but finally commented because these pix are so cute.

Anonymous said...

i know the feeling of not wanting to let them leave the nest - my oldest is now a freshman at college 3000 miles away - i wait every day for her nightly phone call - but remember - roots and wings - that is what we are supposed to teach them

Shari said...

The collage is beautiful! Thank you for sharing! As far as leaving the nest: my kidlets are still pretty young. I do know I will miss them greatly when they leave for college, marry, etc.

Unknown said...

Welcome home baby girl!!! Glad to know round 2 is so far, a success...and as beautiful as ever, though she hasn't gone through a thing. They are reslient aren't they? Something that would devistate the rest of us, only makes her more beautiful and a more radiant pillar of strength. We send our love through the cold and snow! :)

Joella said...

Heather,

This is my first time of posting on your site, been following it for a long time,every since I've been following Kele's. I'm Kele's friend Joella, I'm the one who is watching the kiddos so Kele can get her life back. I also wish you was closer so I could help your family out too. From previous post it really sound like you have some awesome girls that helps out a lot. Give them hugs for me and tell them someone else is proud of them, they are doing some amazing thing for their family. God will bless their lives & reward are waiting for them in heaven. You have an amazing baby girl Zoey, she is beautiful. I love all the pictures you post,especially love the tongue sticking out, how cute. GOD has his hand on her and he is keeping her as well as possible with what all that is going on in her body. I pray he continues to keep her well from all the sickness in the hospital. You and your husband is amazing also. When GOD gave Zoey to your family he knew what he was doing. There are no other family out there that could love her more than your whole family and her amazing parents. You stay well and get your rest you and your husband are Zoey's mouth. She can't speak up/out at the hospital, you have to do it for her, by the way you are doing a great job. No one else would take as good care of their baby than her parents(little inside info to keep you well go to Wal-Mart or any pharmacy and get Emergen-C, it in several different flavors, come in a packets. Best results take one a day, it'll keep you well. I started getting better after being sick since Sept.) I now have a blog thanks to Kele, jzaccessories.blogspot.com I'm addicted to blogging now.
I want to leave you with this saying I have posted on my computer.......
The Will of GOD will not take you to Where the Grace of GOD will not protect you!
Your family and baby Girls are in my prayer!

Pray blessing to your family!
Joella

Anonymous said...

Buddy has always dreamed of having a Kelley compound with all the kids and grandkids living on the same large piece of property together. If we could only win the lottery that might be a realistic dream but then again....we did raise the children to use their wings right? Such a mixed message I guess but then again we can all dream. You and Mark have created an family that will always want to be close, that is obvious. They may not live with you but they will always be apart of your everyday life. I am so happy to see Zoey all smiles as usual and still at home. I hope to see you before you head back. Happy New Year.

Jeanette said...

I continue to be amazed at little Zoey and you too Heather. What a great job Kele did on this collage as well as the last one. It is wonderful that you are surrounded by such love.

Tara Bennett said...

Gayla told me to come by your blog and I'm so glad she did! Oh my goodness. Your little girl is so darling and you are an amazing mom. Thank you for sharing your story and insights.

Kele said...

Never too busy for Princess Z (and you, altho you would never know it, I STILL haven't got my phone from Target, have no one's numbers ... LOL!
Arg, I am so with you about never wanting my kiddo's to leave, M and J are only 3 and 2 years old and I already get pangs of sorrow when I think of them growing up and leaving me, surely this isn't healthy?!?!
Love you and kiss my girl... I am tickled to hear she is getting a slightly defiant side to her!!

Anonymous said...

So funny to read about your compound idea. Just two days ago, my oldest who will be 10 tomorrow told me that after she graduates college, she is going to get a good job and then by some land in Texas somewhere so that she can build her house on the right side and her brothers house on the left side. I asked right and left side of the land, and she said, "no, right and left of the house I will build for you and dad, that way we can always be close." It brought tears to my eyes and still does. If only I can keep her believing that way my life will be perfect. Glad to read that Zoey is doing well and as always looking ever so cute. You sound much more relaxed and rested in your writting. I pray for that to continue. Take care and God Bless.

Larkinsmom said...

Keeping tabs on you all - as always. LOVE the pictures so keep em coming. I love the tongue thing that Zoey is doing!!

Larkin sends her love

Carey said...

Yay Zoey,what a big girl! Isn't it crazy how much they can grow on chemo! Chelsea shot up like crazy in the very end!!!

Love you guys!

Googsmom said...

Continued Prayers {{{{HUGS}}}}}

Anonymous said...

Heather - you are not being selfish just a loving mother. Compounds are good.. The girls could use their wings to return to the compound! love the concept



Bluebelle