Friday, February 13, 2009

Deja vu





I am a self-admitted,over the top,out of control,cannot release it to a higher power ... germaphobic.Have been,most of my adult life.I am fairly certain that germs will be a main bullet point in my children's therapy when they are older.That is why I add a few extra bucks to their therapy jars from time to time.My children will always know Chuck E Cheese and the play areas in malls as being synonymous with the word "germ-fest'.Or in Joe's case 'germ-FESTIVALS".An outing with me sometimes goes something like this :Don't touch the cart.Don't touch the railings.Don't touch the elevator buttons.Use your sleeve for the doors.And :Here's some hand sanitizer.And ... here's some hand sanitizer. And ... here's some MORE hand sanitizer."Yep,I'm a real treat to go out with in public.Just tonight I was in near panic when I reached into my purse after using the pen at the store checkout and couldn't find my trustworthy germ fighter.Okay,panicked it a bit much but you get the idea.I have issues and they have only grown exponentially since Zoey has been born.When she finally came home after 2 1/2 months in the NICU,keeping her healthy was a matter of life and death.Literally.Zoey was born basically into congestive heart failure and balancing that and her pulmonary hypertension proved to be no small feat.As Zoey lay on her back,g-tube feed 20 hours a day,unable to be left alone for any length of time because she gagged and wretched 24 hours a day,germs were the number one arch enemy.We didn't mess around.The words,courtesy of my niece were :"No touchie".We bought 3M Avagard by the case full.We still do.The last several days around here have been a bit reminiscent of those early pre-heart surgery days.With leukemia and low ANC being part of the vernacular around here now,things have kicked into high gear.I have been known to follow those with sniffles and coughs around the house and ever so inconspicuously,wipe where ever their little hands may have wandered.Chances are I am not fooling anyone.Well,it appears as though my neurotic ways have still allowed the germs to penetrate the Needham fortress.Jake started with a cough.A nasty one, the other day.I took him to the doctors today.Cough,fever and all.As I walked through the door there was a kid with a bowl ... puking.Nice.I felt the urge to run but choosing to be a good mother ... we stayed.The verdict from the doctor ...a virus.Just as I suspected.Nothing we can do about a virus except let it take it's course.Our pediatrician has seen a decrease in RSV but instead two new strains of Influenza have shown up.We all received flu shots.Here's hoping we miss the worst of it.I inquired about stomach virus's.The worst in my opinion.Much to my dismay his reply was :"Oh,those are year round."Great.Rumor has it that Jakes school has kids dropping like flies from it.Thank goodness for having him home the last two days and for the long weekend.I mean seriously.I had just felt like winter was winding down and maybe we had missed the worse of it.But as my sister ever so gently reminded me today,our family seems to get hit in February and March.Double great.In the end,all of us will weather what ever comes our way but Miss Zoey is another story.These little bugs can mean big trouble.Could we just pray she dodges this stuff?When I am able to bring myself back to reality,I realize that in the end,the hospital probably poses more risk to her than home.I can't mandate or control the people that come in contact with her,and where they have been or how healthy they really are but at home I can.So, I will just do the best I can and know that sometimes no matter what I do,things will still slip through.It just scares me.A lot.But tonight all is well,except of course my little man Jake.Hope he gets to feeling better soon and I soooo hope the rest of us will miss it.But honestly, what are the chances of that?A few picture of the littlest love.Taylor is very into braiding her hair and Zoey sits so sweetly and patiently while she does it too.I want to also bring your attention to 3 other darling girls that we have "met" via this blogging world.They all are battling leukemia.ALL to be specific.Won't you join me in keeping them in your prayers and sending their families peace and strength as they journey this very long road.

13 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

I am also a bit neurotic about germs. Especially since Reagan hasn't had immunizations since 4mo. But in your situation you definitely have the right to be a little more than neurotic. I hope this is a short and sweet virus for Jake's sake! Try to have a good weekend!
Tera

Lacey said...

Happy Valentines day! The one unit Jax has never been on is the immunocompromised unit. But now he goes to that clinic for his blood disorder. It breaks my heart to see those kidos. Its a whole new ball game that we've never dealt with before, and hopefully never will. I don't think Jax body could take it. But you can tell these cute little bald kids are great fighters.

Junior said...

Oh yes, call me neurotic about germs as well. hope your sons feels better quick.
Happy V day

Kelly said...

That same crazy virus has hit our family, too. must be running rampant through Camarillo. Hope he feels better soon!!

Melissa said...

I agree with you w/the germs! I've never washed my hands & had so much hand sanitation bottles in my life!! LOL I won't leave the house without them;)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO YOU & SWEET ZOEY!!! Hope you have a very special day & that everyone feels better soon;)
{{HUGS!}}

The VW's said...

I have always been a stickler for hand washing and using antibacterial sprays on our counters, but after Gavin was born it definitely became worse! I hate germs!!! Although, I have no problem letting our boys eat something off the floor if it's under the 5 second rule! (Go figure?!) :)

Hope everyone else stays healthy at your house, especially sweet Miss Zoey! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Kisses For Noah said...

Oh my gosh, Heather...I think we were separated at birth!!! I am a total germaphobe and my children are constantly hearing me say "Don't touch the elevator button!" "Don't touch the railing on the escalator!" "Keep your fingers away from your face".....and the most famous...the second we come home from anywhere "Go scrub your hands with soap". I have issues...maybe I need to start a therapy jar for me...LOL

My name is Sarah said...

Hi Zoey. I love your hair. It is getting so long. My mom is laughing. Our moms are just alike when it comes to germs and my mom is also crazy about chemicals especially in the house. Did you have a good Valentine's Day? We made snickerdoodles.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Valentine's Day to all the Needhams.

Miss Zoey, love the braid.

Jake - hope you are feeling better today (Sunday)

Bluebelle

Kristen's mom said...

I love Avagard! I am tempted to put a bottle at my front door and another at my back door for anyone coming in. It seems Kristen's ANC is never higher that 500. I'm guessing your daughter has AML? My daughter has AML and we just finished round 4. One more to go! YEAH!!!!

Kele said...

Love hearing you guys are all doing well, and surely Jake will get over it soon. Sorry I haven't been by more, battling quiet the battle here with my little butterfly... she just can't seem to get well this time around. Looks like my birthday girl will be sick on her big day.
Love seeing all the pics and I will work on the collage of round three this week.
Love you guys and kiss the warrior!

Anonymous said...

You can't be careful enough. You've done an amazing job keeping the princess healthy. Keep it up. Best to Jake and hope he's feeling better. Love, love, love the braids. She is just beautiful. Love an prayers to you all and a quiet time in prayer for Luke's family and those whose lives he touched. xo Christi Harman

Maureen said...

Let me tell you a little story...

First of all, I never have and never will take my kids to a Chuck E Cheese. I am always floored when we get birthday invitations for that place or similar indoor play venues. Of course, we *always* decline. But apparently, Chuck E has an ad on Playhouse Disney and Bridget has, occasionally (okay, frequently) seen it. The other day we got onto the freeway at Main St. in Ventura, and Bridget sang the following: "Chuck E Cheese's, where a kid can be a kid!" And I practically went into cardiac arrest and then vomited in my mouth a little bit. I had to explain to her that Chuck E Cheese was NOT a place where a kid could be a kid, but a place where a kid could get RSV, rotavirus or even ebola, not to mention getting semi-assaulted by a giant rat.

Additionally, after gymnastics class, I slather Bridget's hands and feet with sanitizer. When we get home, she is now trained to say "Time for decontamination!" as we pull into the garage. I carry her into the bathroom where we strip off all her clothing and wash her hands and feet in the sink with an antibacterial soap.

So don't feel badly, Heather. You're not alone! Who likes their kids to be sick?

Mo