Sunday, March 22, 2009

24 Hour recharge .....

When Zoey was first diagnosed,one of the most difficult parts,excluding the obvious of course,was trying to keep some normalcy amongst the chaos.We have gotten pretty good at shooting from the hip when life has thrown us a curve ball the last few years.We all tend to come together and develop a game plan and move forward.Cancer became a whole new ball game and required more of a battle plan rather than a game plan.But once again our family and friends circled the wagons and we have found our way through what,at the beginning felt insurmountable.My children never cease to astounded me with their adaptability and my husband has never,not once, lost his "the glass is half full" attitude.The big girls have sacrificed and the boys have had to learn to wait,be patient and except their lives being turned upside down,again.One might envision a family totally coming undone.Frazzled,fried and totally stressed out but honestly,we look fairly well,normal.We have not come undone rather we have become cohesive.We have bonded and we have learned that we are stronger than we ever knew.We have of course missed our together time.We miss going to church together.We miss going to the park and out to dinner together.We have missed just hanging out at home ,all together.Yes,cancer has taken some time away from us as a family but these times are just moments in the bigger picture and that bigger picture is what we have kept our eye on for the last five months.Each and everyone of us have said that we have willingly traded these moments for the lifetime of moments that await us.We do this now,we miss these family moments now,with the hope that we will have a lifetime of family moments waiting in the not so distant future.We have to hold on to that.We all have made plans for that time.That "after cancer time" but we know that we cannot miss these now moments while we wait.During round one we found that for everyone involved, it was best that Mark and I both spend an entire day,separately,home on the weekends.Friday night to early Sunday morning became my day home and it has continued that way since October.A wee bit more than 24 hours goes by really fast but we truly try and make the best of it.Today was no different.Nothing ever too exciting but just some good,easy going time together.Most Fridays,Jess is home for Team in Training.Sometimes Caitlin and Danny as well but this weekend,just the boys and Taylor and I.We stayed in our jammies till late morning.Taylor took off for work by 10:30.The boys played with their Legos and their robots and I caught up on emails and blogs.We headed for haircuts followed by a visit to a new "old time"candy and soda shop that just opened.Jake,Joe and I visited Taylor at In N Out and I reluctantly gave into the boys pleas for burgers.Anyone that knows me,knows we don't do red meat so suffice it to say this was big.Winced as they ate,not so much the boys.We filled the afternoon and waited for Taylor to get home from work and after she showered we took off to surprise Zoey and Mark at the hospital.And boy were they surprised.Zoey was so excited to see the kids.She was literally jumping out of our arms to be held by the next eagerly awaiting arms.She showed the kids her new trick:Blowing kisses.Pretty darling.Blows kisses to all who cross the threshold of her room.We just stayed a little while and then headed to The Griffith Observatory.A very cool planetarium.In Joe's words,better than Disneyland and wished he lived nearby so he could go everyday.As we were leaving Taylor and I were commenting on how packed the streets and parking lot were at almost 10:00pm and although the Observatory is spectacular we wondered why,and Joe quickly stated,"Well,because it's amazing!"The kids were sound asleep within 15 minutes.Joe passed out with what almost looked like a grin,mouthed hanging open, wearing his souvenirs:an astronaut suit.I would call the day a successful recharge.Tomorrow I head out early.I will miss my days like these with my little and big loves but more will come.Much more and because of these missed moments those moments will be all the sweeter.

22 comments:

Claudia said...

I love this post. It is so heartwarming, it is full of hope and looking-in-the-future, it is just great. It makes me feel good, in a way I can not describe really. Sorrow is not the biggest part, but hope - and that is good.

Thanks for letting us be part of your day at home, how exciting what you all did in 24 hours! I so wish I could just join you and the rest of the team for a couple of hours doing something what most families and friends do on a weekend...normal life.

Love, as always from here
Claudia

Cammie Heflin said...

We know its so important to have those close to "normal" days at home, so glad you did!

Colbert Family said...

Awesome post! You guys are an amazing family and it's so wonderful to hear how you have still found joy and are creating good memories in the midst of this trial. I could've never imagined that we would be finding joy and peace while going through our Abbey's battle with leukemia, but our God is so amazing and He is giving both of our families a peace as we walk these roads. I love how you guys are also thinking ahead to the future and knowing that all this is only temporary to getting to the goal of Zoey being past all this. We will have our whole lives to spend with our precious, healthy girls :)

Junior said...

Such a sweet post, it is important to have some "normal" days. I know you are looking forward to many years of normal days to come.
big hugs, Heidi

Ray said...

I have to admit, there was a time where our family has unraveled through a really tough time with Jax, my boys were unhappy and me and my hubby were unhappy. But Jax has also brought me and my hubby closer together. My pediatrician said that the incidence of divorce happens more with a sick child than anything else, thats crazy. But my kids are definitly stronger, and more caring since Jax came into our lives, he taught us all a big lesson in being humble. Give that girl a kiss from Jax

Googsmom said...

Many continued Prayers for your family {{{{HUGS}}}}

Anonymous said...

Aw, days like this are the days I miss most since I'm not home. Soon enough, we will rejoin you and we will get our own astronaut suits.
I love you all and am literally smiling thinking of all the things you guys did together.
I'm especially jealous that I cannot witness the blowing of kisses firsthand.
talk to you later today,
Cait

Anonymous said...

mom, correction: YOU do not eat red meat. the rest of us do.

i can't wait to see joe's astronaut suit.

Unknown said...

What a great day you had with your kids!!! Smiles all around, even made us fraggled Therklesens smile several times...especially at the 'in and out' part. I admit, I wish Utah had one! :) Well my dear, glad it was a refreshing day...I will email you more in a few! hugs and kisses your way and may you have strength for this week as well as Zoey and all the rest!

SammyJo said...

I love love LOVE the comment from Jess :-D

You are such a wonderful family! If the situation you are currently in has any good at all, it might be to show how precious even the simple moments are.

I don't think you need such a kind of reminder, but it came to my mind when I read your post that sometimes we forget the beauty in every day live.

Could you please please post a video with Zoey blowing kisses???

All my best - Alex

Michelle Riggs said...

Wonderful post! You are doing a great job making wonderful memories.

Praying for Zoey and your family.

SammyJo said...

I've just read it in Claudias blog: if Taylor ever comes to Heidelberg, we will all come to meet her! That would be GORGEOUS. Just wonderful!

Kele said...

A video of the kiss blowing would be sweet to see!
Glad your day made for a good and positive recharge!

Melani said...

I love to follow your blog! Your family is an inspiration, truely you are! Prayers for Zoey! Happy Spring!

Cheri said...

Oh what a fun day! And like others said it is so heartwarming to hear the hope, to hear how this has bonded you all and made you stronger...when it could just as easily have gone the other way...nothing short of a miracle and blessing in its own right. I loved the comment that your husband has never, not once, lost his "the glass is half full" attitude. Amazing parents the Needham children have!

We're blowing kisses Zoey's way! :)

Scrappy quilter said...

I too love this post, full of hope. Keep working on those wonderful memories. AWESOME!! Continued prayers for Zoey.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great day and it sounds like it was great for everyone. I'm glad the boys enjoyed the adventure so much.I agree-I like Jess's comment:).
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through the "Riggs Family" blog a few months ago and have been following Zoeys journey and pray for her daily. I just had a quick question, today on The Riggs blog it said that he had removed your button from his page because you didn't want it there anymore? I was just wondering why, I thought that was the point of the button, to spread the word for people to pray. Anyways, just curious! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Alisha said...

In response to post below: Rest in Peace Thomas. I will pray for the family. Kids should not have cancer. No one should. By the way, you would never know she just had chemo. Zoey just looks so healthy and happy!

This post: I have to admit, I was totally amazed at how ... well, how cancer doesn't run your lives. Other then hospital stays, from what I have seen in your posts, it looks like when you are home, Zoey does everything any other child would do. So comforting. Glad Zoey got to hang out with the other kids, and you had a good time with your kids!

The VW's said...

I'm happy to hear that you were able to get recharged and enjoy your day together! I know how important this is when you are spending so much time in the hospital! I continue to pray for your family and your brave little Zoey!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful family!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, my heart became so full reading about your day, the jammies, in & out, surprise visit, observatory, and even the ride home. You write so beautifully I could visualize it all. Plus Zoey blowing kisses. Thinking of you all with love and prayers and prayers and love, Christi Harmnan