Thursday, July 22, 2010
Procedure postponed ...
So nice and super courteous, to receive a phone call less than 24 hours before a scheduled procedure,having all the kids and schedules figured out,which is often no small feat,and be told,that they have to cancel.Frustrating.The old Heather most likely would have been fairly ticked off but the beauty of Miss Zoey has allowed me to not sweat the small stuff.Most of the time.Not always.Just ask my husband and children.
Needless to say, we are a no go for Zoey's eye surgery tomorrow.Well,it's more like a procedure,given all the other actual surgeries she has endured in her little lifetime.A simple probe of her right tear duct.We have been running circles trying to keep it infection free and now that chemo and seizures and all that good or not so good stuff is over,we can address the easy stuff.Oh how I embrace the easy stuff.About time,in my opinion.Zoey will also have a complete eye exam while she is under, to ensure she still is not in need of glasses.Given the area damaged by Zoey's major stroke, there was a real possibility of the optic nerve being damaged but by the grace of God she skirted that.We do know she has midline over, peripheral eyesight loss,definitely in her left and possibly in her right but really nothing that glasses could ever correct.Oh and remember how I said "simple" probe?Well,the doctor informed me that there is a small percentage of the DS children that don't actually HAVE a tear duct.She kept emphasizing "small percentage",to which I have nothing to say to that as we all know... Zoey has fallen into every small percentage known to man.Small percentage means nothing to me.So here's praying that Miss Z does indeed have a tear duct.Would be nice to hit that higher percentage for once,don't you think?
And why the cancellation?We can blame MRSA again.She does not actively show signs of it now but since we have had 3 outbreaks,she is considered colonized and needs to be in a main OR opposed to CHLA's surgi-center.Added precautions there.I suppose I could have been "remiss" and not mentioned the MRSA when we had our pre-op appointment but ... what's an honest girl gonna do?Had to tell them.So we are re-scheduled for August the 4th.What blew my mind the most was when she said the August the 4th part.I was immediately thinking"That far out?Until I realized,much to my dismay, that it IS almost August .... how could it be August already?Summer is vanishing right before my eyes.Trying like crazy to hold onto it a bit longer but try as I might,no such luck.
We are beginning to catch our breath after the whirlwind of the last few weeks.Having Charlotte's party forced us to settle into the new house in record time.Which,in the end,was kind of nice.Given my obsessive/control freakish nature,it worked totally to my benefit.Still more to get done but on the whole,we are in great shape.
That's all for now.The upside of surgery being cancelled is that we are back on track for Friday beach day.Cannot wait.