Thursday, October 28, 2010

"When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers, ‘tis near Halloween." ~Author Unknown

It's no secret that I LOVE Halloween.I think in fact,the older I get,the more I love it and I have no idea why.Growing up it wasn't a huge deal in our house.Fairly the norm back then.And the costumes.Oh my gosh ... I am of a generation where the costume of choice came from a box with a plastic mask and plastic outfit to match.

Some of you have got to remember those!And, hailing from Upstate New York,end of October could be ridiculously cold and often rainy and you would have to layer like crazy underneath those outfits.Made for interesting maneuvering.

Now,the contradiction about me and Halloween,lies in the fact that,I am a big scardy cat.Blood and gore,not my thing but there is just something about the the spirit connected with this holiday,that I just get such a charge out of.So in honor of that spirit,this past weekend we surprised the boys and took them to a really incredible theater in Hollywood to see "The Nightmare Before Christmas".



I had never seen it,why, I have no idea but what a blast we had.Saw it in 3D.Or actually 4D really.Because at certain points in the film, there was snow falling from the ceiling,wind blowing and fog.Totally cool.Mark couldn't decide whether he got more of a kick out of watching the boys faces,or mine!One of my favorite parts of the morning was the two little darlings that sat in our row dressed as Jack and Sally... they were amazing!




Needless to say,we have got a lot of Halloween stuff planned around here over the next several days and as an extra bonus,sweet Charlotte is coming for the weekend.

Could it get any better than that??

16 comments:

Becca said...

Ohhhhhh...I'm *giddy* after seeing that costume in the box and having a massive flashback to such an amazing time!!! Ah, the 70s were so great for the simple joys. I used to LOVE picking out my costume-in-a-box! I can even remember the way it smelled now. Not bad, just *new*. Flashbacks are weird.

Lacey said...

I just love holidays period. A chance to have fun with the boys and act like a kid. That theater looks so fun, those kids, adorable!

Stephanie said...

AWW, that was cool!!!

I was Tony the Tiger one year, with a costume in a box! It was GRRREAT!!!!

Bea Braun said...

I soooo remember the costumes in the box. That was the norm for us. I can't believe you still have one. Might be worth something??? Post pictures of all the festivities!

Devon said...

Cool!! That's awesome! I bet that was a great show. We are Halloweeners (lol) here too...love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The show sounds amazing! sweet photo of little Miss Charlotte!
Have a fun time this weekend.

And you are so right - layers for Halloween are the mode this October 31st I'm guessing in upstate NY. But at least no snow or rain! winter coats and masks - isn't that what Halloween is all about!

Bluebelle

Denise said...

I am so excited that I saw Mark wearing Ella's fundraiser shirt!! I totally remember those box costumes.

Kristin said...

So fun. I totally remember those costumes AND having to cover them up with winter coats because it was freezing outside!

Unknown said...

Yep, I had a few of those costume. I distintly remember being Snow White. In school we would have a "parade". Every class was able to parade through all of the other classrooms with our costumes on. So cool. The little gowns tied in the back and sort of had snow whites dress painted on it. And it the bottom, beneath the gown you could see our jeans and tennis shoes. That of course rounded out the whole outfit. Ahhh the good days.

Mary said...

Oooh, I bet that was so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Heather - On the "View" today(Fri) they were highlighting different decades. I believe it was shown in the late 60's early 70's a little girl came out with the plastic mask on and they said they found it on E-Bay. Better hold on to your mask, it will soon be a collector's item

Bluebelle

Kele said...

WELL?? It could be a tad bit better if Pres and I could come scare it up with you guys... but amazing fun to be had at your house, none the less!
Movie sounds amazing!
In need of another call soon, thinkin two weeks is long enough to not talk! I'll try you after the frightening weekend ahead, is behind us!!

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

We were always hobo's...i don't think we could afford a costume in a box. (thank goodness!)

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

Looks like so much fun!

heidi marie said...

great pics! i love halloween but am a big time scaredy cat as well. i think one of the reasons why i love halloween so much because it is kind of like the kick off for fall and holiday time! can't wait for turkey day. yummy!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

thanks for the flashback to the plastic mask and costume! happy halloween!
so happy to read that everything came back that zoey is still in remission - yeah! :) also i read about your mention of her giving the "stink eye" whitney gives the exact same look and we also call it the "stink eye"... so cute!