Childhood Cancer Facts
- Cancer claims the lives of more children each year than AIDS, asthma, cystic fibrosis and diabetes combined. It is the leading cause of death by disease in children and adolescents. ^
- Each year in the United States, approximately 12,400 children and adolescents younger than 20 years of age are diagnosed with cancer. Approximately 2,300 children and adolescents die of cancer each year. ^
- One out of every 300 males and one out of every 333 females in America will develop cancer before their 20th birthday. ^
- Childhood cancer does not discriminate, sparing no ethnic group, socio-economic class or geographic region. ^
- About one in 500 young adults is a childhood cancer survivor. Nearly 2/3 of the survivors later experience significant and chronic medical problems or develop secondary cancers as adults that result from the treatment of their original cancer.
- In the past 30 years ONLY ONE new cancer drug has been approved for pediatric cancer.
- The causes of most pediatric cancers remain a mystery and cannot be prevented.
- Researchers estimate that 51% of moms and 40% of dads who have a child with cancer meet the criteria for “Acute Stress Disorder” within two weeks of the cancer diagnoses. ^^
Here is my fighter girl. In all her remission glory. This is the face of 2 years of remission. And not a day goes by that I am not acutely aware of how blessed we are. How blessed she is.
And everyday I am reminded of those we lost. Like precious Pablo.
Who stole my heart from day one. Who sported skull and crossbones apparel like no other, which I can never resist of course. A child who's beautiful spirit, lit up a room and who's voice, was that akin to a man. This deep, indescribable voice, that you didn't expect from a child of six.
6 years and 6 days, Pablo graced us with his presence in this world. Far, far too short. Wilms Tumor is the beasts name and today I ask you to pop over to Pablove Foundation and donate to Pablove Across America, where his Papa and some other amazing riders, will take on year 3 of peddling across this country to raise awareness for not only Wilms Tumor ,but all childhood cancers. We miss your love and light sweet P but it and you, will live within us always. For always.