Tuesday, December 4, 2012

12 days of Christmas. Carol #1 ...



Love this one. 'Christmas Like a Child' by "Third Day'. One of my very favorites. And this year, it especially speaks to my heart. A heart that has spent a whole lot of time reminiscing about Christmases of days gone by. I have been blessed to have spent Christmas morning with my parents, for 37 out of my 48 years. How lucky have I been? Despite the sadness of this Christmas, I promise you, that beautiful fact does not escape me.

*This is an antique toy, one of many at my parents house that my dad will wind up, only once, and only once a year, at the very end of Christmas day. Magical.

 No one decorates a tree like my dad. And this year he said he just can't do it. Makes me sad but he needs to do whatever he needs to do to make his way through these days.

And he will make it through them. We all will.


6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful pictures and memories -- thank you for sharing them with us here. I wish you comfort as you make your way through the season without your mother --

colleen said...

Oh, how difficult to watch your Dad mourn his wife. I remember my dad's first Christmas as a widower... it was so sad. Hopefully he can enjoy the tree at your house and bring the wind up toy... what an amazing tradition!

Anonymous said...

nice carol #1 I am not familiar with it or this band - liked both - thanks for sharing. Yes, your father needs only to do what he feels like doing this first Christmas. Wonderful that he will be around some of his children & grandchildren. That will be a big help, I'm sure.

Take care
Bluebelle

blogzilly said...

Can't imagine how difficult this season will actually be. Really tough. You'll get through it like you always do though, with strength, dignity and poise...

Methinks, anyway...

Carolyn said...

I can't put my tree up this year, either. I did get out the creche my mom bought for me when I was a kid that she gave me a few years ago for my home. My dad is coming to stay with me, and that makes me both happy and sad. Christmas will not be the same this year for either of us, my friend. You're in my prayers, Heather.

Joyce said...

The ebb and flow. The memories of years past and the new memories we create. You'll have each this year and my wish is you will be able to balance the two so your heart will feel peace and some joy.