Sunday, November 9, 2008
























These aren't very clear of the little Princess.I forgot my camera in the rush to get out of the house this morning.Mark was able to upload these from our phones.Quality is a bit to be desired but at least you get the idea ..... Zoey remains her happy self.Although today when I arrived she was a little pale and her energy level was slightly off.When they drew labs we found her hemoglobin was fairly low and it was decided she was in need of some fresh red cells.Four hours later,pink returned to her cheeks and she was off and running.Well,not literally but you know what I mean.Today was an uneventful day.My spirits took a hit over the last few days,as noted by a few of my discerning children.Taylor feels perhaps I should snap out of the current state I have found myself in and perhaps she is right.She reminded me that Zoey has been smiling throughout all of her days here and I suppose I should take her lead.Taylor is probably right.Although better said than done, as I pass my days in the confines of these halls.But Taylor,I promise to make a better effort today.The report is much the same here.White count a solid 1 and ANC 130.She is hovering at the zero mark.I will be so thrilled when she hits the upswing but when that will be is any one's guess.Today I had the pleasure of chatting with the very sweet grandparents of a little guy from our town.Our church in fact.His name is Thomas and he is surrounded by the most incredible support system.The hall was filled with laughter,as his cousins and brother were busy doing what kids should be doing .... being joyful ,carefree kids.Thomas is 8 and he has called Children's his home since July.His family and his story are inspirations and I have been honored to spent,if only brief moments, with his mom and family.His family remains prayerful,hopeful and unwavering that Thomas will be healed and before long he will be joining his cousins and siblings in their pranks and wide eyed wonder approach to life.In fact he will be leading the pack.Thomas and his type of cancer is irrelevant here.As we pass parents,grandparents and loved ones daily in the halls,the only thing you need to know is that some child is doing battle behind the closed doors.Some family is trying to stay strong and positive amidst such fear and uncertainty.It is not easy.For some it is unbearable but each day I see not only the resiliency of these children but of their families as well.Once again I am surrounded by inspirations,Stories slightly different in content but stories that will leave me changed when our time here on the 4th floor is done.A new peer group.A new set of people to lean on.How I wish it were not in these circumstances but as life has proven time and time again,it doesn't always play out the way you wish.So you take what it does hand out and you do the very best you can and you pray like crazy that you will all come out the other side.That is all for now.3:30 am and I am going to try and catch a few more hours of sleep.Thank you once again for all the kind words,the support in the form of phone calls and emails.I know it is never easy for most of you, to know exactly what to say and do but we have to tell you ...that's okay.Just knowing you are out there makes all the difference.

10 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

I do think it's easier said than done to just put on a happy face in times like these...although at the same time you MUST stay positive and hopeful for Zoey's sake and I think that's what Taylor wants from you. I hope you're finally eating, because that can affect the way you feel as well. You have to put the fuel in to keep yourself going (even when nothing sounds good). Take care and please get a little rest!!
Tera

~KC: said...

May Zoey Grace continues to be HEALTHIER and STRONGER day after day ~

Heather, LOVE is the most powerful HEALING FORCE there is, keep it in mind at all times.
"There is no difficulty that enough love will not conquer. There is no disease that enough love will not heal. No door that enough love will not open. No gulf that enough love will not bridge. No wall that enough love will not throw down. And no sin that enough love will not redeem. It makes no difference how deeply seated may the trouble. How hopeless the outlook. How muddled the tangle. How great the mistake. A sufficient realization of love will dissolve it all. And if you could love enough you would be the happiest and most powerful in the world." Emmett Fox

Sending prayers of strength, love and healing energy your way ~

Love and peace ~

Kari said...

I can't imagine how hard this must be. Just Know your in my prayers.

just jean said...

I'm glad that you are able to lean on the support and prayers of all who are, in some way, traveling this road with you. It's the only way. God puts people in our paths to help us, if we can only be aware (as you are.) Always, always....prayers for sweet Zoey and all the Needhams.

Keep eating and sleeping.
Jean

Anonymous said...

Heather - You are such a strong person....you will come back from the darkness you feel all around you. Keep good positive thoughts flowing if you can. We are all praying for you.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Heather, you and Mark are inspirations to the other families there, and to all of us. Thinking of you with lots of love and healing prayers, Christi Harman

joan's blessings said...

you do have a little wonder! she is just adorable and looks like she defies everything the drs say!
joan & hannah grace

Monica said...

Just wanted to say I continue to pray for Zoey and all of you!! God bless~

Cheri said...

Okay so today I give you one of the quotes from your own blog..."Slow and Steady Wins the Race". Zoey will win this race, though the process may be slow at times...she is doing it, she is making progress. I am glad to hear the pink came back to her cheeks!

Heather, check your email. I have a care package for you and Zoey...

Continued prayers for you all,
Cheri

Anonymous said...

This kid is adorable, and really tough, I know it because I have watched her and been part of her team through all of this.
Hang in there and give her lots of love and kisses, just be sure to wear your mask.