Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls." ~David Thomas







Speechless,absolutely speechless.The scene today at Zoey's Cut-A-Thon was nothing short of amazing.Mark went first,shortly after it began and called me immediately.I could not hear or understand him through his tears.He arrived to find that 100 people had started lining up at 9:30 for an event that began at 11:oo.People signed in and waited,some for hours and at the end of the day,some in the rain.People came from miles away.Mostly strangers.They came because they read of a little girl.One that they have never even met but they felt drawn to nonetheless. Perhaps it was her smile and glint in her eye.Perhaps it was her story of courage and resiliency.Whatever the the reason,they came.One darling couple,who spoke of their only child,a daughter, who was 65 and living in Hong Kong.I give you these details to give you an idea of their age.But age did not matter, as the spirit that they emitted, was absolutely ageless. They waited and poured coffee and waited some more.Stylists cut person,after person,after person.All day long.People volunteered their time to wash hair,sweep floors and sell raffle tickets.Spent literally hours taking down names and calling them one by one as it became their turn,They kept food and drink flowing. Stylists came from other salons.All for Zoey.And the rest of us too.I was touched beyond words as I arrived to find people lined up,sitting in chairs along the sidewalk,chatting with strangers beside them helping to pass the time.Some were reading books.Some were reading the newspaper and all of them kept on waiting. There were bagels,pasta,coffee,drinks,goodies ...all donated.I have story after story I could tell but each of them special in their own right,I would hate to include one and leave any of the others out.Suffice it to say,Mark and I were reduced to tears at several times throughout the day.The only thing missing .... Zoey.I wish she could have been there.She so loves people.If she had come, she would have met a few new "friends" just like her.One is Hope,daughter of one of the incredible friends that made this day possible.Another one was Caitlin who, like Zoey, came into this world with a multitude of issues but today is a 14 year old healthy, happy young lady.Then there was Harrison.A 1 1/2 year old cutie.Who's mom and dad and older sister stayed all day and filled the place with their positive attitudes and endearing personalities.My friends,our friends,old and new, showed us the beauty of the human spirit.True unconditional love.Every single person went above and beyond and today,like many times in the past,I was so proud to be a part of such a generous,unselfish,loving community.Tonight I go to bed with my head full of wonderful memories and my heart filled with immense gratitude for a day that was overflowing with love because of this miracle we call our tiny warrior.Zoey and I are off to Children's tomorrow.Take two, on Round Two.I really hope it is a go this time as we are anxious to get things going again.The sooner we do,the sooner we say goodbye to this latest leg of Zoey's journey.I will keep you posted as the day progresses.Please keep the little love in your prayers,as I know so many of you always do.To our family and our friends and to our community of Camarillo and beyond,we love you and thank you from the deepest parts of our hearts.

18 comments:

Kele said...

Sobbing, that is all I can muster to write in this comment... I am literally sobbing!!
Hope you don't mind, I want to share and link to this on my blog, everyone should hear of this kind of kindness.
I love you guys and will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hard to see the keyboard here in Syracuse through my tears. (of joy)

What a truly amazing gift from everyone. And I must say those outside pictures are warming as I sit here at my computer with the weather at 11 degrees and a wind chill of 0!!!! - It may be very COLD outside here in CNY but my heart is warm, for you Heather & Mark.....

Love and hugs to everyone

(Aunt) Bluebelle

Anonymous said...

We came at 2:30 and were turned away because they weren't sure they could finish everyone ahead of us by 4. I told the stylist I have never been so excited to be turned away! Just so happy you guys had an amazing turnout. Zoey is in our thoughts and prayers always.

Carey said...

That is amazing!!! What a wonderful idea! I know how hard it is to attend things like that without the special guest of honor, but so is the case when they've got AML, those germs are just too dangerous.

I'm so happy you had such a terrific turnout!!! Good luck tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you all day. We'll be in the hemonc clinic as well. Hoping both girls have good days!

Unknown said...

Heather-
You know, I am reminded of how awful this world can be each night on the news...it is SO Nice to be brought back to the true heart of the human spirit...where we all should be. How blessed are we to live in communities where the love and support are never-ending. I wish I could have been there to support your family and give my love...I will be with you in spirit...always, as will Preslie! Fight hard today baby Zoey...I pray round 2 will start today! Our prayers are with you, as always!

Shari said...

I am crying tears of joy reading this! I am so glad they did this for you. My heart is overflowing that mankind is still good! What an amazing gift! I continue to pray for your little Zoey the Warrior and your family, too. Blessings and love from Oregon.

Larkinsmom said...

Of course everyone that could did turn out!! Our beautiful girl is amazing and so is her family. I am so proud of your community. Kiss and hugs from the mid-west

Aunt Kim said...

I am so touched by your story of the outpouring of love and support shown to you, Mark, Zoey and your family. Thank you for sharing with all of us. My deepest prayer of all time is that in these days of war, fear and the unknown is that we always remember stories such as yours today and that people such as those who live in your community (and communities all over our country and the world) live among us. And for all of us to continue to be inspired by such kindness and generosity.

My deepest prayer for now is that round 2 goes as well as round 1. Stay strong.

Kim (Presley's aunt)

Reagan Leigh said...

That is SO neat! I'm glad you have received so much support from your community! So neat!

Anonymous said...

You couldn't get near the place Heather!!! I still need a haircut (just kidding). An amazing scene, and I too await your book, filled with the stories of love, life, giving, laughter, and tears. At least record some notes for later on tape. Thought of all of you and Miss Zoey all day today. Prayers and love coming your way always, Christi Harman

Maureen said...

I am so glad you had such a fantastic turnout! People relish the opportunity to help - it's good to give them the outlet for it. Our family will continue praying for Zoey and ya'll...

Mo

JUST A MOM said...

We wouldn't have missed it!

Alison and gang

Cheri said...

speechless...that is so amazing beautiful!!!

I don't know...somehow I think little Miss Zoey is going to end up with one of those big keys...to the city of Camarillo. She has certainly won their hearts!!!!

Mary said...

There was such a great turnout that people were being turned away... Wow, absolutely amazing!

heidi marie said...

oh my gosh...i'm so crying right now...very heartwarming. in a time when people barely speak to their neighbors, it is wonderful to see that God is still present in everyday people.

Hat said...

looking for an update. hope everythings okay!

Jeanette said...

Heather, what an amazing outpouring of community love for you daughter. I am humbled by this experience from many states away. I know that it is silly, but I nominated you for a blog award for being a good mom. Please feel no obligation to do anything with this expec just know that there people who are inspired by you and your daughter. Blessing to you!

Anonymous said...

Heather, it was so nice meeting all of you. I made a video with the interviews my husband did. I hope you like it! Feel free to put it on your site if you want to share it.
Love, Mary
(Harrison's mom)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4q6ZETxqcQ