Friday, November 4, 2011

This Life of Ours ....

Photobucket

Matt and Jess continue to work tirelessly towards their respective careers, and it hasn't been easy. But I have yet to hear them complain. At all. 2 1/2 years since graduating from college, they may say they feel a bit like they have been spinning their wheels, but they really haven't . Deep down I know they know that. Jess is finishing up her second semester in nursing school and Matt continues to work at the ambulance company in Los Angeles and has just finished part one of the application process to a fire department up north in Berkeley. He also finished testing locally for a paramedic company. I would hate to see them 6 hours away, for selfish reasons of course but in my heart I am hoping the Berkeley thing pans out. Super cool area up there and I think it would be an amazing place for them to start their life together.

Photobucket

And then, we have these two. See those looks? We see them often. Sheer exhaustion. Danny works like a dog. The guy seriously works harder than anyone I know. Maybe even Mark. He works 6am to 3pm, everyday, as an engineer with Morley Construction and then heads to USC for his classes for his masters degree. Comes home at 10pm and then gets up at 3:15. That would be AM. Studies and then heads into work. Crazy that son-in-law of mine. But, I tell you, the guy is doing a beautiful job balancing it. It is extremely hard on Caitlin to have him away so much. She misses him and he misses her and he especially misses his Charlie girl.

Photobucket

And who wouldn't miss that face? Charlotte is just so much fun. You know, the 2 year old, say the funniest, dance the darlingest, give the sweetest kisses, 2 year old fun? That is the stuff he misses. But I remind them every, single, day: short time sacrifice for long term pay off. Life has beautiful things waiting for them. Now isn't so bad either. And they know that as well.

Photobucket

Taylor Morgan is doing her thing at Pepperdine.  Hefty college load, work and of course there is Mr. Brandon Born. He has been hanging around these parts, on, and just a teeny bit off, for 4 years now. Currently in Arizona finding his way through college as well. Great kid. Darling little couple. Weighted down, in moments, by some of the stresses of young adulthood. I don't have the heart to tell them that life gets a tad bit more complicated as you go. Something tells me they might already know and hopefully are just soaking in these days.

Photobucket

 And then there are the boys. Mark is doing what Mark does, working. It leaves little time for much else. He lives it and breathes it and wishes, he were home more. Actually, as I write this, nearing midnight, still not home. But, unfortunately, the nature of his job, doesn't lend itself to more home time. However, I must say, sometimes I tell him, that I think he does a little dance on his way out the door in the morning. In fact I think I have seen him sprinting towards his car on somedays. It is crazy in this house and talk radio and a solo car ride, brings a certain measure of respite to him I am sure. And the little guys, they are doing little guy stuff. Playing hard. Living large and carefree. Ah, too be young again. I know that their little lives are filled with their own little stresses but when I see them rough housing and rolling on the floor in wild, joyous, hysterical, laughter, I think, can't I keep them this way forever?

Photobucket

And Zoey. She continues to stick to the tried and true, slow and steady wins the race. Each day she sneaks in something new, subtle but definitely new. And lately, it is with her communication. In fact today, at her IEP, they added 2 new goals because she had met her previous ones. Speaking of the IEP, as I mentioned earlier to someone, quick and painless. Seem to be on basically the same page as the 10 others in attendance. That is a few short then her normal posse members. Noticeably absent was her PT, soon to be ex PT. We have officially asked to switch and the new unit where Zoey will be receiving services, the PT there, immediately asked, " Way is it, that someone is working on a powerchair goal with her and not an ambulation goal?" Well hello and thank you Jesus, ding, ding, ding,we might just have a winner here. Surprise, surprise, they also would like me to bring her Rifton walker to the first evaluation. Now isn't that a novel concept? All in all, Zoey is flaunting her feisty spirited self and leading the way. It never ceases to amaze me to listen to these therapists and educators, marvel at Zoey. They look at her file and all the obstacles placed or rather thrust upon her, one after another and then they see Zoey, who pretty much has said, screw you, I will show you all. And she absolutely has.

Photobucket

Ah yes, I suppose that brings things around to me. Same old, same old. And the old should be accentuated. Sometimes I have to catch myself when I am talking to someone and I mention my age. I pause and think, is that really how old I am? Nearly choke on that number. I have contemplated lowering that by a few digits. Kidding. Well, I am just sort of kidding, truth be told. Anyway, I am just doing my thing and on somedays doing it better and much more gracefully  than others. Running a lot. My salvation on those not so graceful days. I have the 1/2 Marathon with GSF on November the 12. Struggling with a slight IT band issue but pushing through. My lungs have done a complete turn around since starting my 3 inhalers. 60 % lung function to, drum roll please...104% Crazy uh? A friend of mine said that scares her to death because if I could do what I was doing in my daily life with the 60 %, what will I be like at 104. Seriously though, I feel great and am so thankful to have been diagnosed and be responding so favorably to the treatment. Speaking of the marathon, for those of you who donated to our fundraising efforts to put an end to SMA, thank you again and for those of you so inclined, you still have a week. You can go to my fundraising page with GSF and make a tax deductible donation now through next week.

That's all I've got. Probably enough I'd say. Hard to be short and concise with my families size. I mostly do this for the East Coast relatives who need a catch up post from time to time. To the rest of you, if you have made it this far, thanks for hanging.

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I could gaze forever at all your beautiful kids. And then I'd marvel and linger at you. Matriarch. :)

The VW's said...

I love your beautiful and blessed family! Hugs!!

Shelly Turpin said...

This is my goal to create people that are living and contributing to society. I hope I do as well as you have done!
SO very glad to hear that the meds are helping your lungs. That is wonderful!

Justine said...

I love it! You have a beautiful family!

just jean said...

I LOVE all the pictures you posted! It's true that pictures speak a thousand words. However, I am a LITTLE partial to the first one! :)
Your beautiful family reflects all the love and support that you and Mark have shown them through their lives. Matt is lucky to be a part of it. It's comforting to me to have you be a part of Matt's CA life. (yes, I am blinking back a few tears....but that's okay.) Thank you, Heather.

Rochelle said...

Oh you know I love to hear all about the family. Still laughing at Mark running for the car. I am sure Jason does the same thing each morning but, he doesn't work that late thankfully.

Glad to hear about the new PT goals! YAY!
Also, so happy to hear about your treatment is going and you are doing so well. Praying for your run next weekend!

Anonymous said...

As an east coast relative I love and appreciate this post! The pictures are all awesome.That is one good looking Needham family!I wish I could see you all! Let's skype soon. Lisa

The Annessa Family said...

WOW? WALK? REALLY?

Just kidding...

So so happy you've found someone who see's Zoey for everything she is and can be. I mean...if I can see it through a computer screen...

Come on!

Brooke
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

Anna said...

So excited to hear about your lung function. I didnt hang in long enough to get mine up there. Maybe I will give it another try. THe update was incredible. I think I had forgotten you had so many children. I misplaced a few, thought there were two older girls joe and Zoey. Thankfully I am not their mother! Ha ha! You are so beautiful Heather!! Keep up the good work.(also SOOOO thankful for the new PT!)

colleen said...

ah, isn't life beautiful... you've found someone to believe in Zoey's ability to walk... oh and for that "irreversible" part of your asthma... never personally believed it would stay that low post meds... now keep taking them and enjoy your next race!
I thought my husband was always at work ( 4 hr commute each day) but both your son-in-law and your husband seem to be yes I will say it "worse". I'll close my mouth the next time I start to complain and offer it up to the Gods!

Reagan Leigh said...

Love these update posts! And those pictures...well, could you have any prettier kids?!?!? A beautiful family inside and out!!

Anonymous said...

And.....We East Coast relatives love it! Thank you...

There are just too many miles between us!

Aunt Bluebelle

Joyce said...

That was a beautiful recap my friend. Reading it, I realize that you are continually experiencing the emotional conflicts I wrote about today on a much larger level. If I just follow your lead I will be coping much better. Thank you for your sweet comments:)

Melissa said...

I love the recap on everybody! But most of the all the PT update for Zoey. I hope this new person is perfect for her!